CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Dear Americans

We are blessed. Blessed to live in a place where we are free to express our beliefs and ideas. Blessed to (for the most part) have food in our bellies and clothes on our back. Blessed to have homes, beds, indoor plumbing, and a microwave. There are those who don't have this, but for the most part, its true.

That being said, why are we so selfish? We being the key word because I'm in that category as well. But we have so much "stuff" that is completely useless. We have cell phones, iPods, 3-5 computers, cars, 15 pairs of shoes, and a closet full of clothes that only half are worn. We could live without these things. I'm guilty of saying I would "die" without my computer or iPod, but I wouldn't. When we don't get what we want, we whine and complain because we don't have the newest Apple product, or the newest car. We say we are completely broke when all we have is change in our wallet, but are we really? Go visit a country like Brazil or Kenya or Russia, and we can talk about broke.

When I went to Brazil this summer, I saw what true poverty was for the first time. I saw a family of nine living in a one bedroom shack (they probably made themselves) with no plumbing, and electricity that wasn't ever reliable. They fit all nine people onto one queen and one twin sized mattress. They were lucky if they got a decent meal everyday. The children that lived in that house didn't have a good pair of shoes to wear, they had no future ahead of them, and yet, they were so JOYFUL all the time. Seeing their faces in my mind just makes me smile, because I am reminded of what true joy in any circumstance is. It's also proof of the statement "Money doesn't bring happiness" because they have no money and are happier than I could ever be in that situation.

Now back to the entire selfish aspect of this. We have "stuff" and we have money. Now why is it that when someone comes around asking for money for a charity, or wants us to sponsor a child in some remote country, why do we hide our wallets and stare at the floor? We have been blessed more than we know, so why don't we share this with others? We can't even give the homeless man on the corner our spare change. We say that it's because he will buy booze or drugs with it, but in reality it's because we are too self-centered to give up a dollar or two. How about instead of pocketing all the cash we get from that spare change, we donate it? How about using that $30 for a new pair of shoes we won't ever wear, we use it sponsor a child in Africa, so that they can have a meal and basic health care? We are called to look after the widows and orphans of this world. This can also translate to anyone in need. Lets accept our calling and look after those who have so much less than we can ever imagine.

Here are some great organizations you can get involved in:

-Compassion Intl.

-Gospel For Asia

-Loose Change to Loosen Chains

-Invisible Children


Sincerely,
Someone who is just as selfish as the rest.

0 comments: