CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, August 3, 2008

As We Embark.

18 days. 


That's all I have left. I leave for Nashville in two and a half weeks. It's crazy huh? I remember going through the doors on my first day of high school. I never thought this time would come. I thought I'd be stuck perpetually in the over protective grasp of the public school system. I never could picture myself heading ten hours away from everything and everyone I know and love, even in my wildest dreams! 

The time has come.

I ship out in 18 days, leaving my Plano address of residence behind, perhaps forever. I seriously think I'll end up staying in Nashville. I have felt more at home there in my visits then I think I have ever felt here. Not that I haven't felt loved by my family and friends, because I have and do, but something was always missing in this city itself. It didn't fit. The girls never understood that I would rather run around in my tshirts and shorts playing frisbee than shop and get dolled up for some crazy party. Most didn't understand that I don't drink or curse or smoke or rebel because some invisible being told me not to. This city's religious affiliation is shopping and partying. Designer stores on every corner, make it pretty obvious. It isn't me. Something about Nashville fits though. People seem to understand.

I remember times when I would have given anything to get out of here. Times when I was hurting. We've all hurt at some point these past few of years. We've all felt pain for some reason. Gossip, betrayal, loss, lies, or hate, we've felt it. Sometimes we didn't understand why it happened or how someone could do that, but feeling that pain is a small reminder that we are alive. We are alive. We have to lick our wounds, get up, and try again. That's high school. That's life. Sometimes we feel like we have no more fight in us and we just want to run like hell, but we get up anyways and get back in the ring because that last hit just gave us a little bit more strength. Every hit makes us stronger. Sometimes we have to hit the ground and pray for strength, but it will come. Strength will always come. Hope will always arrive. We learn from it so you don't get taken down like that again. I was hit so many times during the last four years, but I wouldn't take them away for the world, because I wouldn't be the person I am today. There is a purpose for the pain. 

It brings us closer to our friends, creates a tighter community, because truly, community is what life is about. People matter. We couldn't make it through life alone. So for all of you that have helped pick me up when I have fallen, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I wish you all the very best on your upcoming adventure. We are all in this together, just heading different directions. I will look for your names in lights, and your faces will always be with me. At the risk of stating a cheesy metaphor, I'll remember you when I see the stars, because although I can't always see them, they are always there. You will be in my heart. 

I was scarred but now I'm healed. Love heals. Love others as you embark, you won't regret it.

Best of luck,
MacKenzie

0 comments: