CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Fear Not Death

I've been mulling over some thoughts the past few weeks, and last night one of them finally made it's way onto paper. I really have been struggling with this idea, finding out a lot about myself in the process. 


What if I was living during the time when Jesus began His ministry? Christ is going around telling AND showing people that He is the Son of God, and even part of God Himself.

Would I believe Him? Would I just think He was some crazy heathen? Would I blow Him off? Would I even give Him a second thought? Or would I listen to His words. Would I follow Him and see what He meant by fishers of men? Would I wash His feet with my tears, hair, and most prized perfume? 

To be honest I'm not sure which situation I would be in. I would like to say I'd do the latter, but part of me feels I would have been the former, being the skeptic and pessimist I am. I have realized I live too much by sight and not enough by faith. I wait for God to SHOW me things instead of simply trusting Him and following in the knowledge that He is mighty to SAVE. I hate the thought, that I might have denied the One giving me TRUE life, in every sense of the word. All I can take comfort in is that I'm living now and I believe in the One who died for me and took on my burden and gave me the chance to spend an eternity in His presence. Hallelujah for such a wonderful and glorious Savior! 

His grace is becoming more and more potent as I learn more about the very nature of Him. And every time that grace becomes more apparent and powerful, the more I realize I don't deserve it at all. Why would He let me give Him MY burden of sin and death, and give me His "burden" of eternity with Him? Maybe I should be better at picking up my cross. If Christ could come and take away the sin and destruction from ALL mankind and even be separated from God Himself, and then defeat death, the least I could do is pick up my cross and carry it wherever I'm lead instead of dragging my feet refusing to go any further until I get a sure sign. Shame on me for being lazy and thinking that God won't watch out for me. He doesn't promise that a life following Him will be easy or even fun, but He does promise that He will be with me every step of the way. Maybe it's fear of persecution, but He says we will be blessed if we are persecuted for speaking His name. Maybe it's fear of judgement, but if my identity is in Christ I shouldn't worry about the judgement of others. Maybe it's even fear of death which is ridiculous because the day I die will be the day I finally go home because I do not belong in this world but in heaven with my Father. I need to stop fearing death and start fearing not living life to the fullest in Christ. That's my new years resolution, to live life in it's fullest, showing Christ in every situation.

I hope that you will help keep me accountable in that.

Have a terrific week.

Mac

1 comments:

Sarah said...

that's a good word. Hope you are having a great week!