CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Day One

I'm not required to participate in Lent, but I have for the past few years. I think the idea of giving up something as a sacrifice for forty days, as a reminder of Jesus' trials for 40 days in the wilderness is a great one. I gave up facebook one year, and other odds and ends as well over the previous years. This year I'm giving up all drinks but water as I join with Blood Water Mission in their 40 Days of Water campaign. I have the privilege to clean drinking water whenever I want it. I don't have to walk miles to get it and it isn't contaminated with bacteria in the ground or in the water itself. I'm truly lucky. So for 40 days I will drink nothing but water so that I can learn to truly appreciate it. My nalgene is going to be my best friend.

Now if you know me at all you know that I will have one major weakness when it comes to this: Dr. Pepper. I was born and raised in Dallas, Texas, two hours north of where it originated, and in the city where its headquarters currently lie. I was practically drinking it from the day I was born. So this is not going to be some walk in the park. This is going to be challenging. But I'm up for the challenge. One little fact about me is that I have the will power of a lion. When I set my mind to something, I can pretty much accomplish anything. I can do this.

Another thing I'm adding in, just for fun, is that I'm going to blog every day for the Lent season. I know I know. Crazy right? Well don't get too excited, cause they will probably be pretty short on some days. In fact, I know they will. But it's an effort I'm willing to make.

So Lent, day one. Water only and bloggin all the day long. Bring it on Lent.

0 comments: