CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Over-Zealous

So maybe blogging everyday was over reaching. Maybe I'll try and get in two a week. Sound more reasonable? Yeah I thought so too.

But I promised you Australia, so you're gonna get Australia.

Where did Australia come from [no not the country physically, thats too big a question!]? Well, I'll tell ya kids, so gather 'round cause its story time. I was sitting in my wintermester course this past December [gag], trying to my best ability not to fall asleep, cause lets be real, history isn't my thing. My professor was an almost-60 year old man who may have been one of the biggest rednecks I've ever met [his words, not mine]. This fifty-something man was a professional scuba diver, sky diver, kayaker, and in basically all things extreme. He has traveled the world and seen a lot of really cool things. He encouraged us every day to travel and see the world. Well being bored in class one day, after one of these little rants about seeing the world, I started doing some research. Now I've always wanted to go to Australia so that was naturally the first place I researched. Turns out, my university offers a study abroad program in Melbourne, Australia strictly for music business majors. HELLO PERFECT.

Now in case you're wondering, Melbourne is riiiiiggghhhttt....


there [down at the bottom of the continent]. To give you some perspective, Sydney is NE of what is marked Canberra [the capital of Australia], right along the coast.

Anywho, so I go on this rampage researching anything I can find on Melbourne, including, but not limited to, looking at pictures of the city, looking at the city's main website, wikipedia, looking up the economy and government of the country, etc. I did this for three days. THREE DAYS. I didn't sleep for these three days because I was just so fascinated with it all [made it even more interesting to stay awake in class]. Those who know me well would be able to tell you that when I get excited, I obsess [only slightly]. Pretty evident after not sleeping for three days. Heck, I've even found myself watching Australian television shows just so I can try and understand the culture a bit more. I was/am SO excited about this!

Why Melbourne, not Sydney? Simple. Melbourne is the "Nashville" or "LA" of Australia. It is the hub of their music industry. I would get to see how the music industry works in another country and how it effects the industry in America. Cool huh? I may be a bit nerdy in all this, but seriously, its going to be awesome.

Next question that I'm sure is burning in your minds: when am I going? How kind of you to ask. Fall 2011. The reason it is so far away is two fold. One, I can't go next fall (2010) because semesters in Australia start in the middle of July [flip-flopped seasons and all], and I'm already committed to a full summer position at Sky Ranch this summer [which is a topic of excitement I'll get to soon] which goes through the middle of August. And two, they don't offer the program in the spring, hence fall 2011. Seems like a long time away to be so excited about it, but I can't help it!

Well there's my schpeel [is that a word? probably not, but i use it a lot]. Any questions?

0 comments: