I have always had this problem of getting involved with something and being super excited about it, but as the actual event draws closer, I get nervous or intimidated and drop out. I did it in school choir shows when auditioning for solos. I have done it with numerous things at church. Basically cold feet sinks in, and I sink.
There was one time a little over a year ago when I was asked to perform in a Battle of the Bands (or artists in my case) and after asking my parents and praying about it, I accepted. The top three performers in the contest would perform at the SHOUTFEST festival in front of hundreds. The winner of that show, would continue on to Rockettown in Nashville to compete with the other winners from around the nation. I had to perform two original songs in front of a crowd and a panel of judges. Ummm..lets just say I was a BIT nervous. About two weeks before the show, I nearly backed out again. I almost sent an email that would have pulled me out of the competition. Before I sent it though I began thinking about all the times I had "chickened out". I knew that I couldn't continue to live that way. I figured that if I wanted to be a performing musician one day, that I should suck it up and take the opportunities I was given. I couldn't cancel on some of the biggest chances of a lifetime.
I didn't send the email. So on that bright October day, my Dad and I loaded up his car with my guitar and we set off. I had no idea what I was going to do. I had no amp, no equipment, no IDEA what I was getting into, but I knew I had to go through with it. I get to the small little venue in Sherman, TX, and get all my information that I needed. I ended up having to ask another band if I could borrow their amp. They graciously lent it to me, I performed my two songs, and I ended up in 5th, trailing the 3rd place contender by 2 points. Thats right, two points. I didn't advance, but I was so proud of myself for actually going through with it. It provided some AWESOME opportunities that I would never have experienced anywhere else. I performed with a band (the same one that lent me an amp) that will probably be signed to a major any day now (A Road Less Traveled). I talked with people from music labels and others in the industry. I took a God given opportunity and went through with it.
In short: The costs of being afraid of failing your dream are far less than the rewards of trying.
Mac
Sunday, January 27, 2008
For the Dreamers...
Posted by
MacKenzie
at
7:40 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
You are precious! I just came across your blog from facebook (when I was looking at your profile secretly hoping to see that you were going to go to Baylor! Even though you wont be there - thats okay! Im still so happy for you!) and I love your blog! I love that you have a blog & I love that I can know read it & keep up with how you are doing! Im proud of you for performing & for doing such an awesome job! You are truly amazing MacKenzie!
Post a Comment