For the past hour I sat in an over-stuffed chair in the middle of Barnes & Nobles reading the first chapter of two books that have come highly recommended, "The Perks of Being A Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky, and "Room of Marvels" by James Bryan Smith. The first is about a young boy writing to a friend about how scared he is about going to high school...well at least thats how far I've gotten. The second is about a Christian author who lost his 2 year old daughter Madison, his good friend Wayne (who represents the author's actual good friend Rich Mullins who also died), and his mother, and about how he is doubting all he has ever believed in.
ANYWAYS...I sat there for an hour, soaking it all in. When I closed the books and got up to leave I realized I had totally forgotten about everything I had been so stressed out about earlier in the day. I have a paper and a test monday, 4 books (school related) to read before exams, an ap vocabulary test wednesday (i thought i was done with vocab tests by now!), and a registrar who refuses to get my transcripts into the appropriate schools on time. Even with everything now swimming in my thoughts, I sat there in that over-stuffed chair completely content, knowing everything would be alright.
Isn't it funny that all it takes is for us to step outside of the world for a second to realize its all going to be ok? I think thats why I love reading so much. I can go into this other world for a little while, forgetting all my own issues and problems, and getting lost in the made up stories of made up characters in a book. It's my own little escape, only for me. Music is a way to express my craziness, and books are a way to escape from my craziness. If you were to look on my "bed-side table" (its an ottoman (sp?) set next to my bed) you would probably find my prayer/thought journal, my travel lyric journal, my bible, and usually two to three other books. My bible, the ultimate book, filled with stories to get lost in, encouragement to take to heart, and advice to use in life. Don't know where I would be without that book.
So although I have this insane amount of things to do, I know everything is going to be alright, thanks to paper and the Big Man upstairs (I hate that term, but it just seemed appropriate). Now I'm off to finish a music theory quiz and calculus homework all before work. At least I have my new books to get me through the night!
Until my next urge to blog, be blessed! Mac
Wednesday, November 7, 2007
Comfort from paper
Posted by
MacKenzie
at
3:04 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment